What Is Onset
Onset is an open world multiplayer sandbox without predefined goals. Create and host your very own experience in Onset using scripting functions. The possibilities of the server are endless and less-restrictive than others.
What can you do with Onset?
- Dedicated multiplayer servers up to 300 players.
- Single player (localhost)
- In-game VoIP with 3D spatialization and scripting functions to create radios or phones.
- Host your own server with a gamemode made in Lua with over 400 unique Lua functions.
- Create UIs with HTML/CSS/JS and Lua scripting.
- Add your own custom assets (props) for use.
- Add your own character models and clothing items using ImportPlayerMesh.
- Add your own maps or levels. Read Custom Maps for more information.
- Import sounds, particles, static/skeletal meshes, materials, textures and decals.
- Make your own maps that utilize the base 20km2 map.
- Import animation sequences using ReplaceAnimationLibrarySequence.
- Implement your custom made animations via Unreal Engine Blueprints.
- Play your own sound files (.mp3, .wav, .ogg, .flac)
- Make your own custom weapons (pistols and rifles) with modding.
- Re-texture existing props by applying custom materials.
- Utilize Unreal Engine exposed Lua functions for endless possibilities such as custom text labels, synchronized traffic lights, etc.
- Change day time SetTime and basic sky control.
- Connect to MariaDB databases to save player data.
- Create your own Discord Game Activity using Discord Application's client id with UpdateDiscordActivity.
Example Lua scripts: https://github.com/BlueMountainsIO/OnsetLuaScripts
List of game modes and other scripts that you can use: https://github.com/alexandregv/awesome-onset
What can you NOT do with Onset?
- Removing meshes/objects from the base map in-game.
- Importing your own vehicles.
- Pathfinding for NPCs.
- Tunable vehicles.
Things that will never be possible.
- Editing the base map in Unreal Editor. It would require to release all assets which is not possible due to licensing. Of course you can still do mapping on the base map in-game.
- Editing the original game textures. Same licensing reasons as mentioned above.
When will more features be implemented?
For all the news regarding the Onset's roadmap and feature announcements, follow us on our roadmap Trello at https://playonset.com/roadmap. You can find more information on our Discord.